October 26th - October 28th, 2023
The Days of Incandescence is a special three-day celebration each October inspired by the actual history and rather curious mystery behind Corning’s role in making the special glass bulbs for Thomas Edison’s incandescent lamp and, as a result, it’s role in helping spread light across the world. As part of this event, a special story was written and published called The Legend of the Gathers which explores that historic event and the role a mysterious young boy played in making it all come true.
The Days of Incandescence includes:
- Actor Guided Walking Tours - Sold Out
- Live Music
- Jack-O-Lantern Carving Contest - Contest Rules
- Cemetery Tour - Sold Out
- Archibald's Libations Crawl - Buy Tickets
- Themed Farmers Market
- Live Entertainment
- Ghost Hunt
- Thematic Special Offers
- Story Stations
- Celebration Event (vendors, food, juggler, kids activities, Headless Horseman, and more)
See below for more details and to purchase tickets to select events.
Actor Guided Walking ToursCourtesy: Cagwin Photography
• Guided Historic Tours Explore Corning at night with these popular tours led by costumed guides who reveal some of the Crystal City’s lesser known history. Learn about Corning’s fascinating history before it became known as America’s Crystal City and the events that helped shaped the company and the town’s future. Tickets will go on sale late September. Must register in advance, limited spots available.
Courtesy: Cagwin Photography
• Live Music! During this year’s celebration, you’ll find specially themed farmer’s markets and live musical entertainment in Corning's Riverfront Park.
Thursday 10/26 10am-3pm - During the Themed Farm Market
Saturday 10/28 4pm-8pm - During the Days of Incandescence Celebration at Riverfront Park
Jack-O-Lantern Carving Contest
• Jack-O-Lantern Lighting & Carving Contest Celebrate Corning’s unique history and join us in making Corning Glow during the Days of Incandescence Celebration Event. Carve your pumpkins at home. Bring your pre-carved pumpkins to Riverfront Park by 5pm. Light your pumpkins (LED lights only).
- Saturday, 10/28 5pm
Corning’s Riverfront Park
Archibald's Libations Crawl
• Archibald's Libations Crawl is a ticketed 1880s costumed libations crawl that happens each year during the Days of Incandescence and includes a souvenir tasting glass with wine and craft beverage tastings and actor engagements. With 12 locations and 13 beverage provides, there is something to please everyone's taste!
There will be costumed actors throughout the tour as well as live music performers reflecting the 1880s. We encourage guests to dress in that time period but is not required.
Check in between 5pm-7pm in Centerway Square to pick up your wristbands and tasting glass. *Designated Drivers are welcome to join free of charge and will not require a ticket or receive a wristband and glass
- Friday, 10/27 5pm-9pm
Check out the Local Beverage Producers:
Heron Hill Winery, Krooked Tusker Distillery, Keuka Brewing Company, Lucky Hare Brewing, Hazlitt 1852 Vineyards, Staggering Unicorn Winery, Domaine LeSeurre Winery, Finger Lakes Distilling, Liquid Shoes Brewing, Idol Ridge Winery & Alder Creek Distillery, Bully Hill Vineyards, Barrelhouse 6 Distiller and Toast Winery.
Stops on the Crawl:
Card Carrying Books, Finger Lakes Unique, Glass Menagerie, Volo, Vitrix Glass Studio, Connors Mercantile, Pure Design, Liquid Shoes Brewing, Employment Solutions, Pixie Moss Meadows, Sudha’s Emporium and Rabbit Row Yarns & Haberdashery.
The Art of the Cemetery: Ghosts of Glassmaking Tour
• The Art of the Cemetery: Ghosts of Glassmaking SOLD OUT
Join the ARTS Council of the Southern Finger Lakes on this special cemetery tour exploring the graves and history of local glassmakers and innovators with Richard Urban and the art of gravestones with Casey Winston. Following the tour, the group will return to the Heritage Village for a wine and cider tasting with Lakewood Vineyards where guests can feel free to explore the historic 1796 Benjamin Patterson Inn.
NOTE: If you would like to be put on the wait list in case of any cancellations please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thursday, 10/26 5:30pm-8:30pm
Departure: Heritage Village of the Southern Finger Lakes
Awaken the Spirits: Special Behind the Scenes Ghost Hunt
• Awaken the Spirits: Special Behind the Scenes Ghost Hunt
Saturday, 10/28 7pm-10pm
Heritage Village of the Southern Finger Lakes
Led by experts from the Paranormal Society of the Twin Tiers (P.A.S.T.), you can use their equipment or bring your own for this special Halloween three-hour search for signs of spirits.
If you’re expecting something out of Poltergeist, Ghost Busters, or the Sixth Sense, this isn’t that sort of experience. “We don’t provoke the spirits,” says lead P.A.S.T. investigator Bill Vockroth. “You see that sometimes in movies or online, Ghost Hunters who set out to stir things up. But that’s not our intention.” So far the encounters at Heritage Village have all been positive.
The hunts are called “Awaken the Spirits” Ghost Hunts which seems especially apt as they have awakened not just the spirits that inhabit the historic museum (and it appears there are several including a mischievous six-year-old named Emily), but also those of the investigators who arrive with anticipation, a sense of wonder, and hope. Ordinary men, women, and children from various walks of life gathering with a common interest and sense of curiosity. With questions, perhaps. And an eagerness to see what they might detect. The Ghost Hunt is a ticketed event and requires pre-registration. Link coming.
Courtesy: Madison Rae Photography
• Story Stations
Saturday, 10/28 1pm-4pm
Saturday, October 28th
History comes alive during this free family-friendly activity.
How often can you talk face to face with an historical figure? Now’s your chance. This interactive history activity during The Days of Incandescence is designed for family fun. Actors portraying five residents from Corning’s past will be scattered throughout the Gaffer District and sharing their stories. Pick up a Story Station activity card at any Story Station location. Visit all five stations, collect a light bulb sticker at each station by engaging with the characters, and turn in your bulbs for a special treat.
You can also enter to win a Days of Incandescence prize package (see bottom of Story Station activity card to enter) once you've completed all 5 Story Stations.
Courtesy: Cagwin Photography
Saturday, 10/28 4pm-8pm
Corning’s Riverfront Park and Centerway Square
Come step back in time and celebrate 1880s style with live music, vendors, activities, walking tours, and more.
Come walk under the strings of Edison lights as you enjoy 19th century style live music and festivities to celebrate the light!
- Live Music
4:00pm-5:00pm - Annie Ol' Thyme
7:00pm-8:00pm - Details Coming Soon
- Horse and Wagon Rides (will run 3-7pm)
Rides depart from Centerway Square in Front of Old World Café
- Live Juggling
Nate the Great (Ithaca Circus Performer Juggling Sundry Items)
- Market Vendors
- Headless Horseman
- Blacksmith Demos
- Kid's Activity Stations
- Jack-o-Lantern Contest - 5:00pm
The community is invited to carve jack-o-lanterns at home, bring them to the park where they will be illuminated helping make Corning’s Riverfront Park GLOW and sharing the light. There will be judging and prizes, then folks can take their jack-o-lanterns home to have for Halloween. Download the contest rules HERE!