There are a number of factors that transform a new place into just the right place and we’re hoping this page helps you learn about some of the things that set Steuben County apart.
Pride of Place? For sure. And with good reason.
With small towns that have been voted the “Coolest” and the “Most Fun” in America, world- class museums, award-winning wineries, an exceptional brew scene, a variety of wonderful culinary options, unique shops, stunning landscapes, and exciting ways to create your own hands-on fun, there are so many opportunities to check items off of your bucket list.
Living in a world-class destination means you have at your fingertips an abundance of diverse activities and experiences to enjoy without ever having to leave home. You have access to the very things that draw hundreds of thousands of people to the region year after year.
Part of the reason more and more people from New York City, Philadelphia, Washington DC, Boston, and Cleveland have been finding their way to the region the past few years is because they’ve discovered just how close this hidden gem is to them, but that also means living here provides residents the best of both worlds (the slower pace and intimate sense of community that comes from living in small towns with the ease of experiencing some of the coolest and most dynamic big cities in the eastern US).
Just a Few Accolades:
- Corning named “Most Fun Small Town” in America by readers of Rand McNally.
- Hammondsport named one of the 25 Best Small Lake Towns in America (Country Living Magazine, 2017)
- Hammondsport named “Coolest Small Town in America” by readers of Budget Travel.
- Dr. Konstantin Frank Vinifera Wine Cellars named one of the “Top 100 Wineries” in the world (Wine & Spirit, 2016)
- Wineglass Marathon Named one of the “10 Best Races for Fit Foodies Across the U.S.” (DailyBurn, 2017)
- Finger Lakes named one of “The 11 Best Lake Getaways in the U.S.” (Conde Naste Traveler, 2017)
- Centerway Square in Corning named one of “America’s Most Beautiful Town Squares” (Travel & Leisure)
- Market Street, located in Corning’s Gaffer District, named one of the Top 10 Great Streets of the Year by the American Planning Association
- Craft Your Adventure Trail expands to include 30 craft beverage producers, from farm-breweries and brewpubs to cideries to small batch distilleries.
- Cider Creek Hard Cider is the most awarded farm-cidery in the United States in 2017.
- Keuka Brewing Company wins FX Matt Award for Best Craft Brewery in New York at 2014 TAP NY New York State Craft Beer and Food Festival.
- Steuben Brewing Company won the 2016 John Calen Memorial Award for Best Brown Ale in New York State at TAP NY. Steuben Brewing also won a Silver Medal for Best Light Lager in New York State.
World-class wines, craft beverages, and cuisine. That means after all the hard work during the week, there are myriad ways to treat yourself.
“It’s a region of charming towns with historic centres. It’s a region where wildflowers offer pops of colour at the side of the road, and vineyards stretch for miles. It’s a region where nature isn’t simply admired, but enjoyed, and one where history – both geological and cultural – runs deep. With everything from outdoor activities to famous wine trails, there’s something to suit every type of traveller here."
—Katie MacLeod, Stories My Suitcase Could Tell
But Steuben County isn’t all about play and fun. We’d say that we are lucky to have some outstanding industries and employers located here, but we’re not sure luck has much to do with it. After all, they set up shop here for a reason. And they’ve stayed for a number of reasons, too, including one Fortune 500 company that moved from Brooklyn 150 years ago via barge and hasn’t looked back.
Steuben County’s Major Employers
- Corning Incorporated - Corning
- Steuben County - Bath
- Gunlocke - Wayland
- St. James Mercy Hospital - Hornell
- VA Medical Center - Bath
- Corning-Painted Post School District - Corning
- Dresser-Rand - Painted Post
- Pathways - Corning
- World Kitchen - Corning
- Corning Hospital/Guthrie - Corning
- Wegmans - Corning & Hornell
- Walmart - Corning & Hornell
- Kraft Foods - Campbell
- ARC of Steuben - Bath
- Alstom - Hornell
- Corning Community College - Corning
Collectively, the Tourism Industry is one of the top employers in the region (with so many wineries, breweries, museums, restaurants, B&Bs, and more).
With nearly a dozen community colleges, state colleges, and private colleges located within about an hour or less from Corning, this region of New York State offers a variety of secondary education opportunities.
For a list of colleges, visit: https://www.3riverscorp.com/college-universities
Other Education (K-12):
The Corning Painted Post High School was named to the 2018 Best Schools by Niche.
The Corning-Painted Post ranks in the top 20% of the safest schools in all of New York State and in the top 30% of the best schools in the entire state.
Elmira Corning Regional Airport
While the Elmira Corning Regional Airport keeps the region connected with the rest of the world, the airport’s smaller size means less congestion, shorter check-in times and shorter lines, plus quick and easy access to local ground transportation options including rental cars.
Corning and the Southern Finger Lakes is within a 5-hour drive from about 25% of the country (just 4.5 hours from NYC, 4 hours from Philly, 5 hours from DC) and offers quintessential small town Americana without compromising on world-class experiences.
The Great Outdoors
Steuben County covers nearly 1,400 square miles “with a population of approximately 100,000 people living in rural agricultural areas, quaint small towns, and small city communities. Many of our streets, towns, rivers, and lakes in the area, like Keuka Lake, have names which reflect the influence of the Seneca Indians who lived here long before it became Steuben County.
The Chemung, Canisteo, Conhocton, and Tioga Rivers, as well as Waneta, Lamoka, Loon, and Keuka Lakes, afford a wealth of places and ways to enjoy our great outdoors.” (https://www.steubencony.org)
And with over 900 miles of wilderness footpaths, the Finger Lakes Trail Conference offers a variety of wonderful hiking options.
Between the extraordinary landscape and outdoor adventures, the charming small towns, the variety and affordability of activities, and the laid-back, unpretentious vibe that distinguishes the region’s personality, it’s difficult to find anywhere quite like Corning and the Southern Finger Lakes. There aren’t many places that offer local residents such a variety of experiences in such close proximity.
Other Organizations and Resources
- Steuben County
- Three Rivers Development Corporation
- Corning Chamber of Commerce
- Hammondsport Chamber of Commerce
- Central Steuben Chamber of Commerce
- Hornell Partners for Growth
- Learn About Our Communities
Of course, there’s so much about the area that makes it special and we don’t have room to mention everything here, so if you have any questions feel free to reach out to the Steuben County CVB to request a travel guide or additional information.