The town of Hornell was transformed from a quiet small town to a bustling city with the introduction of railroads. A major hub for the New York and Erie Railroad for over 120 years connecting the Atlantic to the Great Lakes, today, Hornell continues to honor the role railroads played in its history. At the Hornell Erie Depot Museum, you'll find more than 700 pieces of memorabilia and interesting railroad stories from docents whose lives have long been connected with the rails.
This rural community also has a history for brewing great-tasting beer. Over the past few years there's been a resurgence of craft beverages thanks to a handful of young entrepreneurs who have returned home to open independent microbreweries.
HORNELL ERIE DEPOT MUSEUM
Located in an old depot along the tracks, the Hornell Erie Depot Museum is a treasure trove of railroad memorabilia with everything from documents, photographs, clothing, tools, vintage lamps, and more. A perfect stop for the history buffs in your group.
WINERIES & CRAFT BEVERAGES
Small town life is all about a deep-rooted sense of community, of being connected to the land and those you share it with. Experience it for yourself in the tasty creations and experiences offered at Railhead Brewing Company, enjoy the quite surroundings at Wild Brute Winery, or enjoy live music at Cider Creek Hard Cider.
STONY BROOK STATE PARK
With wide stone walkways and stairs, scenic picnic areas in the trees and a lifeguarded swimming hole to over a half-dozen waterfalls, there are so many ways to take advantage of the Finger Lake's natural beauty in Stony Brook State Park.
What to do in Hornell
- Sample a variety of ciders, beer and wine at the Cider Creek Hard Cider
- Visit Farmers Markets and Farm Stands across the region and enjoy locally-grown food
- Take a piece of the Finger Lakes home when you stop by Pullman Paintings and purchase a Finger Lakes original oil painting
- The Railhead Brewing Company is popular with both locals and tourists because of the great craft beers and tasty pizza.
- Wild Brute Winery is Hornell's hidden treasure, a small-town winery with high-quality wines.