What do these things have in common: a beautiful lake, delectable wines, and extraordinary shopping? They're all cool, of course! Hammondsport has officially been named America's Coolest Small Town, by readers of Budget Travel magazine! And why wouldn't it be? This tiny town has it all.
Whether you're taking in a breathtaking view of Keuka Lake or sipping one of the superb Finger Lakes wines made there, one thing becomes very clear: Hammondsport has no competition. Its beauty and excellence is unmatched. It's simply the best. With the allure of the Finger Lakes and the prestige of big-name wines like Dr. Frank, Hammondsport is the small town to beat.
Known as the Cradle of Aviation, Hammondsport is home to the Glenn H. Curtiss Museum. Curtiss was the first person to introduce aviation into the public eye when he flew his "JuneBug" over Keuka Lake on July 4, 1908.
With water, wings, and wine, Hammondsport has something for everyone! Whether you live there or you're just visiting for a day, it doesn't take long to realize you're someplace special. Located in a region infused with charm, Hammondsport stands out as a little slice of paradise. Couple that with a huge heart, and you've got yourself one very cool small town!
What to Do in Hammondsport
As America's Coolest Small Town, Hammondsport is full of fun activities and events. A visit to upsate New York and the Finger Lakes wouldn't be complete without a stop at one of our local wineries & vineyards, exploring the history of aviation in America, or relaxing lake-side. For some ideas, check these out:
- Taste award-winning wine at Dr. Frank's
- Attend a celebration of seaplane
- Take a dip and relax at the public beaches on Keuka Lake
- Visit the Pleasant Valley Wine Company, the first bonded vintner in the United States
- Take part in the many local events that occur each year in Hammondsport
Being America's Coolest Small Town requires that Hammondsport has some amazing events. Throughout the year you can find festivals, concerts, fairs, and celebrations happening all over town.
- Raise money and celebrate the fire department at the Hammondsport Fireman's Carnival
- Enjoy demonstrations and buy handmade goods at the annual Hammondsport Festival of Crafts
- Listen to a story at Once Upon a Lake, Hammondsport's storytelling festival
- Watch the amazing 4th of July fireworks
- Where to Stay in Hammondsport
Hammondsport is full of great hotels, inns and B&Bs, each providing a unique lodging experience. So whether you are looking for a romantic getaway to the Finger Lakes, a trip for the entire family, or a trip with all of your friends, there are accommodations in Hammondsport that will work perfectly.
Have a favorite Hammondsport photo? Send it to us, and we might use it on this page!